domingo, 31 de mayo de 2009

I can't find the article I saw this morning in some newspaper and thought that was quite good.
I searched in google for environmental news and got this:
From my early start as an environmental concious mind, I worried about whether information has any impact on environmental behaviour. After all what I have read and seen (and researched myself), it looks like it does, but it also seems that just information (and especially that in newspapers or TV) is not enough. That may be good to make people aware of the problems, but I am even in this case sceptical, because I don't think people who read it change their behaviour necessarily. In fact, if I think of the reasons that led to my environmental consciousness, reading articles in newspaper had little to do with it, if at all. My consciousness developed because I was living through a time in which I became sceptical of the economic and social system in which I we are living. This was toppled with info about the uncertainty on how actions impact the environment, and how turning points could alter the info we have about the system. We regard systems as entities with fixed rules, but should those rules change, we would find that predictions do not work. So I got very scared, because suddenly I realised that nothing is certain, and that we have to take care of the world we live in. Then, living in England, it was sort of easy to have a more environmentally-friendly lifestyle. I realised I could take small steps to make my life greener, and little by little, I change my habits while learning much more about the environment. I took a lot of interest in recycling properly, started to buy organic food (which is England is not much more expensive than standard food), switched off someone else's computer screen, flew less, bought products that were produced more locally and used less packaging, and began to appreciate those aspects of my life that were already green, like using public transport, saving water... In a way it was the most amazing journey of my life, because for the first time I really worried about something, I became very passionate. With time, this has faded away a little, and I miss it, even if this will probably be my greenest year ever, as I decided not to fly at all (because I believe I can have a good lifestyle and have fun without the need to fly) and so far, I am doing well :-)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario